Tag Archives: the history of Europa League

Europa League as the second most prestigious European football league (Part 1)

In addition to being a king sport, football has an important role in promoting international relations between nations because of its popularity around the world. Every year, many large and small tournaments around the world take place, including the Europa League.

In the article below, we will introduce to you basic things about this famous football league.

What is the Europa league?

Europa league is an annual football tournament organized by the European Football Federation. This football league is for clubs from the European region to attend. The football clubs has to win high rankings in national championships.

Europa league is one of the most loved football tournaments in the world. Nowadays, football news about the Europa league is always the focus of the newspapers.

To participate in this Europa League, the football team has to both achieve the highest rankings in national competitions and not win the right to participate in the UEFA Champions League Cup.

The history of the Europa League

What is the Europa League? Europa League tournament was founded by 3 members including Ernst Thornmen (Swiss), Sir Stanley Rous (British), and Ottorino Barassi (Italian).

On April 18, 1955, before the establishment of the Europa League, the Inter-City Fair Cup was born with 10 participating teams. The first prize lasted for 3 years from 1955 to 1958. And more than 10 years later, they renamed this tournament to the UEFA Cup. A lot of people asked what was the turning point of the Europa League tournament and this is the perfect answer for them.

Then in the 2009-2010 UEFA Cup season brought the total number of participating clubs up to 48 teams. Since that time onwards, this tournament’s name is the UEFA Europa League.

The Europa League trophy

The Europa League trophy is 65cm tall, weighs 15kg and is made of silver while the base of the cup is made of gold. This championship cup is produced and completed in the city of Milan, Italy.